Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Doing Business

Pest Management - Weeds

Weeds impact upon the biodiversity, productivity and amenity of the Southern Downs Region. Ongoing action is required from all land managers to reduce these impacts.

Landholder responsibilities

All landholders are required to control declared weeds on their land, including private landholders, Council and State agencies such as Main Roads and Queensland Rail.

Declared weeds

State declared weeds 

The majority of weeds are declared under State legislation (e.g. African Boxthorn, Chilean Needle Grass, Tree Pear and Lantana) due to the threat they pose to Queensland. Council is charged with ensuring landholders fulfil their responsibilities for managing them.

African Boxthorn web  Chilean Needle Grass web

 LP Act weed Tree Pear weblantana-flowers

Council declared weeds 

Blackberry, Firethorn, Green Cestrum and St. John’s Wort are weeds that Council has declared via the following Local Laws: 

These weeds may not necessarily pose a threat to all of Queensland, but are either causing serious impacts within our region now, or have the potential to do so in the future.

These weeds must be controlled on all lands.

Blackberry web    Firethorn web

Green cestrum web   St Johns Wort web

What does Council do?

Council undertakes control of declared weeds on its lands such as roads and reserves. Control of weeds on roads that are fenced into private property (unfenced roads) is the responsibility of the property owner. In most cases, weed control is the lessee’s responsibility on reserves that are leased.

Council also undertakes inspections of private property to ensure weeds are being controlled in accordance with Local Laws and State legislation.

Locations for weed control and private property inspections are set out in Council’s Invasive Pests Action Plan (PDF 69.7KB) and authorised via an Invasive Pest Surveillance Program (PDF 82.1KB) . These locations are set with the aim of covering the whole Council area every few years and take account of seasonal conditions. This plan is prepared by Council’s Pest Management Working Group Advisory Committee and approved by Council every three years. Private property inspections are advertised well ahead of inspections occurring to give landholders advance notice to take any necessary control action. Non-compliance can result in the issue of pest control notices which can carry substantial penalties.

Council has a Pest Management Working Group Advisory Committee in place, made up of representatives from Council, Main Roads, National Parks, AgForce Qld, Landcare, Darling Downs Moreton Rabbit Board, Biosecurity Qld and community group Southern Queensland Landscapes. The group meets quarterly to discuss pest (weeds and pest animals) management issues and makes recommendations directly to Council. The Pest Management Working Group Advisory Committee is also responsible for oversight of the implementation of Council’s Invasive Pests Strategtic Plan   (PDF 2.5MB).

What assistance is available?

Council pest management officers can provide locally relevant information to landholders on the most effective and economical control methods for a range of weeds.

Council has several QuikSpray (motorised herbicide spray units) units available for hire at very reasonable rates. These units can be mounted on a utility or tractor and make weed spraying a much easier job.  Please complete a Hire of QuikSpray Unit form which is available from Council if you would like to hire a unit.

Fees for these units are outlined in the Miscellaneous Health/Pest fees in Council's Fees & Charges document (PDF 539.4KB).

An incentive scheme is in place between Council and Qld Murray Darling Committee for blackberry control. This scheme provides financial assistance to landholders once control work has been carried out. Please contact Council for information on how to apply.

I’ve seen declared weeds. What do I do?

If you have seen a weed that you believe is not common to the area, please report it to Council immediately. Early detection is the cheapest form of weed control!

If you have weeds encroaching onto your property from adjacent land or are concerned weeds are not being managed in an area, please report it to Council so action can be taken.

Where can I find information on identifying and controlling weeds?

Experienced pest management officers are based in Council’s Warwick and Stanthorpe offices and are available to assist in the identification of weeds.

They can also provide advice on the most effective and economical control methods.

Fact Sheets

For more information on pest weeds see Council's Fact Sheets.

world Useful Links


Related Items

Section Menu