Dogs throughout the Southern Downs Region must be registered as per the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008. This means that:
- All dogs must be registered from 12 weeks of age;
- All new animals to the region must be registered within 14 days of arrival;
- Microchipping is compulsory for animals from 12 weeks of age; and
- Working dogs ONLY will be exempt from mandatory registration and microchipping - See Working Dogs for further information.
- Desexing is recommended at an appropriate age
Benefits of Dog Registration
- An animal wearing a registration tag can be put in contact with its owner as quickly as possible;
- Registered dogs wearing a collar and tag are easily identified and distinguished from the stray population;
- Registering your pet is cheaper than paying impounding fees.
Dog Registration Fees & Forms
Download and complete a Dog Registration Application (PDF 190.5KB) for dogs over 12 weeks of age. Discounted fees apply for desexed & microchipped animals, and aged pensioners are also entitled to a reduced fee. See Fees & Charges for current fees.