Landing Page_Pets and Domestic Animals

Fences and Enclosures

All animals must be confined to their property by way of adequate fencing or enclosure

Cute dogsAnimals that are able to access public places or neighbouring properties run the risk of being a danger to themselves and possibly other animals or people.  Roaming animals often cause disputes and anxiety between neighbours by causing other animals to bark, or by fighting with other animals, or chasing other domestic and native animals, or defecating in neighbouring gardens.  

All animals must be confined to their property by way of adequate fencing or enclosure.  Enclosures must provide adequate freedom for animals to exercise, taking into account the breed, size and nature of the animal/s and provide a sheltered area from the weather at all times.  Animal owners need to provide suitable enclosure according to the relevant Local Law and regularly check boundary fences and gates to ensure that the fence is capable of keeping the animal on the property.

Helpful Hints for Animal Fencing and Shelter

  • Animals can jump/climb over, dig under, push over or break through fences and gates to escape. If the animal jumps or climbs, adding height to the fence or alternatively, adding an inward sloping extension may discourage jumping and climbing. 
  • Digging can be hindered by placing a concrete trench around the bottom of the fence, or alternatively, attaching a strip of mesh to the bottom of the fence and burying it effectively.   
  • If you have a wooden fence, check the conditions of the paling and the general condition of the fence to ensure that it is strong and secure so your animal can not push paling off or cause the fence to lean by jumping on it. 
  • If you have a wire fence,  check the condition of the mesh itself and the integrity of the posts to ensure that it is tight and secure.  
  • If you have a colourbond fence, check the condition of the fence and replace any creased or dislodged panels.
  • Wire runners and electronic containment devices are not considered fencing, or an adequate method of containing your animal.  
  • If you don't have a boundary fence, or you live in a rental property that won't allow you to modify any existing fences, it remains your responsibility to keep your animal effectively contained to the property. 
  • This may mean a free standing enclosure (pen) will need to be constructed within the boundaries of the property. Such a pen must have the same qualities as the fences mentioned above and be constructed of suitable material that is strong and secure enough to prevent your animal from escaping.  

Please note that Building Approval is required for any fenced enclosure with a roof, and is larger than 10m2, or any fence over 2 metres in height.

Related Items

Section Menu

Living Here