Minor Work - Plumbing
The category of minor work has also been expanded as part of the notifiable work reforms.
The following are new or amended items in the schedule that were previously notifiable minor work or required approval by local government:
- sealing an existing water service downstream from the water meter in a class 1 or 10 building
- repairing or maintaining an on-site sewerage facility or greywater use facility
- installing or replacing an automatic switching device for a rainwater tank
- installing or removing an apparatus, for example a pump or water saving device (please note that this does not include water heaters, temperature control devices, testable backflow prevention devices and dual check valves with an atmospheric port as these are all notifiable work)
- removing a fixture or fitting.
Minor work is any work included in schedule 3 of the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003.
This work must be performed by an appropriately licensed person but does not need to be notified to the Queensland Building & Construction Commission (QBCC) or local government.
Schedule 3 – Minor Work
- Work necessary for replacing, maintaining, repairing or removing a fitting or fixture
- Work necessary for repairing a broken or damaged pipe
- Work necessary for installing, replacing, maintaining, repairing or removing an apparatus, but not if the work involves the following:
- work necessary for installing, replacing or removing any of the following apparatus:
- a temperature control device
- a water heater
- a testable backflow prevention device
- a dual check valve with an atmospheric port
- replacing a domestic water filter cartridge.
- Work necessary for sealing an existing water service downstream from the water meter for a building classified under Building Codes Australia (BCA) as a class 1 or 10 building
- Work necessary for maintaining, repairing or replacing fire hydrants or fire hose reels
- Work necessary for unblocking a pipe that is sanitary plumbing or sanitary drainage
- Work necessary for repairing or maintaining an on-site sewerage facility
- Work necessary for maintaining or repairing a greywater use facility
- Work necessary for installing or replacing an automatic switching device, within the meaning of the Queensland Plumbing Wastewater Code, for a rainwater tank installation