What's On in Waste & Recycling
Council provides special services and events relating to Waste and Recycling at various times throughout the year. Check this page regularly to find out what's happening next in your area!
National Recycling Week (13-19 November 2023)
Tote bag competition
To help celebrate National Recycling Week, we are on the lookout for some of the Southern Downs' most creative minds to help us design our new tote bags.
Trucks, bins, recyclables...all ideas are welcome! We can't wait to see your recycling themed designs.
Scan and send your designs to SDRCwasteed@envirocom.com.au by Friday 24 November to enter the competition. Make sure to include your contact details.
Competition Terms and Conditions
Council reserves the right to choose competition winner. Prize will be awarded on merit as decided by Council. Judges will be looking for entries that they feel reflect the spirit of Southern Downs, its community and recycling. Entries must depict or refer to Sort-It Sally, or include Let’s Sort it Out! messaging. Entries can be submitted via email to SDRCwasteed@envirocom.com.au or dropped off to a council office. Entries must be received by Friday 24 November. The winning design will become the property of Southern Downs Regional Council.
Domestic Fees at Southern Downs Waste Facilities
Domestic Waste Fees Information Sheet (PDF 231.7KB)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Expansion of Designated Waste Collection Area
An expansion of the Designated Waste Collection Area (DWCA) in April 2022 provided convenience to an additional approximately 1200 households across the region.
Following community feedback and a survey of residents in the recent expansion of the designated waste collection area, Southern Downs Regional Council considered the findings at the Ordinary Meeting on Monday 27 June 2022 and resolved to offer households in the new catchment area the opportunity to opt-in or opt-out of the receiving service. The service expansion forms part of Council’s long-term strategy to reduce the region’s environmental footprint and improve service delivery of waste services. Residents in the DWCA received a free three-month trial which gave more than 1,100 landowners in the extended catchment the opportunity to experience the convenience of kerbside waste collection and improve the ability to divert recoverable resources from landfill. The service will continue at no charge for a further three months (July to September 2022) while the implementation of the DWCA is finalised.
Updated information and timeframes for the expansion of the Designated Waste Collection Area
- New wheelie bins have been delivered to residents in the expanded Designated Waste Collection Area. An information pack was delivered by Cleanaway to the mailboxes of all residents who are receiving a new waste collection service. This included the Waste and Recycling Guide and a recycling collection calendar magnet.
- New collections commenced in the week commencing the 4 April 2022.
- Frequently Asked Questions - Expansion of the Designated Waste Collection Area (PDF 744.1KB)
- Maps of the waste collection areas are available on Councils online mapping tool.
- If your bin has not been serviced, you did not receive an information package, or have any questions on this new service, please contact Council.