SDRC_web-banner-Visiting

Visiting

Warwick

 

Sitting on the banks of the Condamine River, historic Warwick - known for its roses, Jumpers and Jazz festival and rodeo - features some of the state's finest original sandstone buildings. Known as the 'Rose and Rodeo Capital', Warwick was settled over 150 years ago and has an interesting history to tell.  

Patrick Leslie and his two brothers originally settled in the area as squatters, naming their run Canning Downs. In 1847, the NSW government asked Patrick Leslie to select a site on his station for a township, which was to be called 'Cannington,' although the name 'Warwick' was eventually settled on.

Land sales were held in 1850, and the first allotment was bought by Patrick Leslie.

The telegraph to Brisbane was operating by 1861.

The 1870s were boom years for this new town. In 1871 the railway reached Warwick, a brewery was built in 1873, then a cooperative flour mill and brick works were completed during 1874. 

An event officially known as the Warwick Egg Incident occurred on the 29 November 1917, which would lead to the formation of the Australian Commonwealth Police with the first commissioner for Commonwealth Police appointed eight days later. As Prime Minister William Morris Hughes was addressing a crowd at the Warwick railway station, a man in the crowd threw an egg dislodging the Prime Minister's hat. Hughes ordered his arrest but the Queensland State Police allegedly refused to carry out the order which led to the creation of the Federal Police.

Warwick Post OfficeThe region has a strong agricultural industry for which Warwick serves as a convenient service centre.

Warwick is situated on the Condamine River. The Cunningham Highway and the New England Highway pass through the town.

At the last census, there were near 16,000 residents in Warwick.

 

 

 

Related Items