Landing Page Plumbing

Plumbing Approvals

Plumbing approval application and inspection process

Council assesses all regulated plumbing and drainage work under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018. Projects that incorporate water supply work, sanitary plumbing and drainage work are assessable under this Act which enables Council to ensure the work is carried out to protect public health and provide protection to Council's infrastructure. 

Unless plumbing and drainage work is prescribed as unregulated notifiable work or minor work under the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019, it is Regulated Work and requires plumbing and drainage approval.

Regulated and minor work is to be carried out by a licensed plumber and/or drainer and in most cases they will apply for the required approvals.  

Plumbing Approval Process

All plumbing work in Queensland is regulated by the State Government's Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019.  Plumbing works are categorised as:

Homeowners may fix minor plumbing maintenance issues without requiring a licensed tradesperson or council plumbing approval.  All other plumbing works must be undertaken by an appropriately qualified and licensed tradesperson.  

Some alterations and additions to existing dwellings and commercial buildings may be done under notifiable work, commonly known as Form 4 works (Form 4a - Notifiable work for a public sector entity). All new buildings will require compliance assessment.

If you are conducting a development, you may require other approvals and permits, such as planning approvalsbuilding approvals or siting variations.

Building work over, or adjacent to any Council service (sewer, stormwater or reticulated water system) may require additional provisions to protect the infrastructure.

Please seek advice from Council before any development works including plumbing work commences.

For more information please Contact Council.

Plumbing Frequently Asked Questions

Related Items


Doing Business