23 January 2023
Our region is a proud home to an army of inspiring individuals who selflessly go above and beyond to make the Southern Downs a great place to live, work, play and stay, and ten community champions will be recognised this Australia Day.
Southern Downs Regional Council will host ceremonies in both Warwick and Stanthorpe to formally honour the following community-nominated winners:
• Citizen of the Year Award – Northern Region: Rosalyn Keim
• Citizen of the Year Award – Southern Region: Morwenna Harslett
• Junior Citizen of the Year Award – Northern Region: Lucinda Bourke
• Junior Citizen of the Year Award – Southern Region: Fitzroy Pascoe
• Sports Administrator of the Year – Northern Region: Carly Hansen
• Sports Administrator of the Year – Southern Region: Mick Mahoney
• Junior Sportsperson of the Year – Northern Region: Rogan Sutherland
• Junior Sportsperson of the Year – Southern Region: Thomas Petrie
• Cultural Person of the Year Award – Northern Region: Leonard Monaghan
• Cultural Person of the Year Award – Southern Region: Kath Ives
• Southern Downs Citizen of the Year – To be announced on Australia Day
In acknowledging their service and dedication, Southern Downs Mayor Vic Pennisi congratulated the nominees and award winners and thanked them for championing the region’s community spirit.
“Southern Downs has a remarkable level of volunteers who go above and beyond the call of duty and every year the nominees for the Australia Day Awards are testament to this,” Mayor Pennisi said.
“These individuals are the engine room of our communities and it is their countless hours of service in our sporting clubs, community groups and arts, culture and civic services that make Southern Downs a great place to live, work, play and stay.
“Often working behind the scenes, these community members lead by example without encouragement and they reflect the spirit and courage of our resilient community.
“The Australia Day Awards allow us, as a community, to say thank you and recognise some of the community members who have made invaluable contributions.
“It is with great pleasure that I thank everyone who nominated a local hero and congratulate the nominees and winners – you represent everything that makes the Southern Downs great.”
Australia Day Civic Ceremonies in Warwick and Stanthorpe will also welcome 18 new Aussies to the region from 11 countries including the United Kingdom, China, Philippines and Brazil.
Warwick Australia Day Civic Ceremony
From 9am at Warwick Town Hall
Stanthorpe Australia Day Civic Ceremony
From 4pm at Stanthorpe Civic Centre
Last edited date 18 Apr 2023