Application for Exemption - Water Conservation Measures
Where an exemption or amendment to water restrictions is sought, applicants shall apply for each individual property or circumstance.
An exemption application will only be considered where the property relies on water from the SDRC reticulated water supply network. This includes the supply of raw water and bulk water for domestic and household use.
Exemptions will be assessed based on the provisions of each level of Water Restrictions, taking into consideration:
- Prevailing weather conditions
- Water allocation available to Southern Downs Regional Council
- Water demand and progressive annual consumption
- The realistic needs of the customer applying for the exemption
- Any special requirements of the customer applying for the exemption
- Supporting evidence tendered in justification of the application
- That the exemption is in the public interest
Guidelines for exemptions when watering new turf
If you are laying new turf, you can apply for an exemption to the water restrictions. When preparing your application for exemption, please consider:
- Choosing a warm-season variety such as buffalo, couch, kikuyu or zoysia grass. These varieties are suitable to the Queensland climate and are water efficient.
- Only new turf can be watered with the potable water supply. Existing garden and grassed areas are not to be included.
- Use of a hand held hose can only occur if it is fitted with a trigger nozzle or device that can enable the flow of water to be turned off instantly.
- Hoses are not to be left running water unattended.
- If there is a rainwater tank on-site, this water must be used to supplement water for the purpose of turf establishment to minimize use of the town water supply.
- The maximum period of exemption, if granted will be 28 days.
In 2019, the Queensland Government released Efficient irrigation for water conservation: guideline for water efficient urban gardens and landscapes. This guideline is for use by people irrigating gardens and grass in urban areas, including household gardens. It provides a framework for waterwise gardening and turf maintenance, ensuring water is used efficiently, wisely and responsibly. Please review this document, prior to completing your application if your exemption request relates to outdoor water use for gardens or turf.
Should you wish to apply for an exemption, please complete the Application for Exemption or Amendment Form and return to Council.
Application for Exemption or Amendment Form (PDF 219KB)