Operational Works Application

Approval requirements for assessable operational works

Operational Works is the broad term used to describe construction and engineering activities that materially affect premises or the use of premises. Most commonly, operational works involve excavation or filling, or the construction of roads drainage, water or sewer infrastructure. However, any work that materially affects premises or their use may be categorised as operational works by Council, and confirmation should be obtained from Council prior to commencing works.  To carry out Operational Works, you need to apply for and obtain a Development Approval for Operational Works from Council.  You will need to use the DA Form 1 - Development application details to apply for this approval.  Building construction work which is covered by and approved under the Queensland Building Act 1975 does not require operational works approval.

Download the Operational Works Development Application Info Sheet (PDF 666KB) for more detail.

When is an Operational Works Approval Required?

The Southern Downs Planning Scheme categorises the type of operational works and the level of assessment required. Please contact Council if you intend to carry out any of the following, or any other work that will materially affect premises (including Council controlled road reserve) or the use of the premises:

  • Extracting gravel, rock, sand and soil from the place where it occurs naturally;
  • Undertaking roadworks on a local government road;
  • Conducting a forest practice;
  • Excavating or filling that materially affects premises or their use;
  • Placing an advertising device on premises;
  • Undertaking work (other than destroying or removing vegetation not on freehold land) in, on, over or under premises that materially affects premises or their use;
  • Clearing vegetation on freehold land
  • Operations of any kind and all things constructed or installed that allow taking, or interfering with, water (other than using a water truck to pump water) under the Water Act 2000;
  • Undertaking:
    • Constructing or raising waterway barrier works;
    • Large subdivisional work involving all infrastructure such as and including  sewer, water reticulation, stormwater, electrical, street lighting, parks, roadworks and associated kerbing and channelling.
  • Stormwater arrangements within new developments that will have off-site effects
  • New road construction or upgrades
  • Retaining walls within developments that require engineering certification
  • Carparking arrangements within developments
  • Cut/fill that exceeds 1 metre in height.
  • Road intersections into new developments.
  • Extension or new construction of sewer lines, storm water lines or water reticulation mains
  • Any trenching of Council’s roads for new services
  • Footpaths and road crossings involving ramps and the use of tactile strips
Important note: It is illegal to modify any of Council’s infrastructure without written approval from Council, even if you have an Operational Works permit.  All live works must be performed by Council.

Related Items


Doing Business