Council revamps Australia Day Awards
12 November 2020
At the Ordinary Meeting on Wednesday 11 November, Southern Downs Regional Council voted in favour of a revamped Australia Day Awards format with a swag of new categories to recognise the region’s most deserving and outstanding citizens.
The revised format will honour ten community members for their services across the northern and southern regions under a fresh new look Australia Day awards system.
In previous years, two main awards were handed out, but in 2021 Council will call for nominations in the following award categories:
· Citizen of the Year Award – northern region
· Citizen of the Year Award – southern region
· Junior Citizen of the Year Award – northern region
· Junior Citizen of the Year Award – southern region
· Sportsperson of the Year – northern region
· Sportsperson of the Year – southern region
· Junior Sportsperson of the Year – northern region
· Junior Sportsperson of the Year – southern region
· Cultural/Community Event or Person of the Year Award – northern region
· Cultural/Community Event or Person of the Year Award – southern region
In addition, one of these recipients will also be named the overall Southern Downs Citizen of the Year.
Locals are being urged to recognise those whose tireless efforts or outstanding achievements deserve to be celebrated and shared.
Southern Downs Mayor Vic Pennisi said the awards were the perfect opportunity to nominate those people from the region who are consistently going above and beyond the call of duty.
“It’s been a really tough year for everyone in the community but you can guarantee there was still an army of people out there giving and working tirelessly for their community and their peers,” he said.
“So many hard workers go unrecognised and this is our chance to say thanks and well done.
“I’d urge everyone to pick up a nomination form and bring our attention to someone who deserves a real pat on the back.”
Nominations are now open and winners will be announced in the lead up to Australia Day 2021.
The award recipients will receive their awards at ceremonies in Warwick and Stanthorpe on Australia Day 2021.
Council will also run citizenship ceremonies in Warwick and Stanthorpe on Tuesday 26 January 2021 for those residents who are becoming new Australians.
Nomination forms can be found on the homepage at www.sdrc.qld.gov.au or at either of Council’s offices in Warwick and Stanthorpe.
Nominations will close at 5pm on Friday 8 January 2021.