Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Living Here

How to Pay my Rates or Utility Notice

Payment methods 

Council offers a variety of payment options to pay rates and water charges:

BPay Contact your participating financial institution to make payment from your Cheque, Savings or Credit Card Account.  Please use the BPay Biller Code and Reference number shown on the notice 
Internet Click here to pay online using your credit card (Visa or MasterCard)
Australia Post In person at any post office (incl Dalveen & Leyburn), phone 13 18 16 or go to
Phone Phone Council during business hours to make a payment using your credit card
Mail Tear off the deposit slip and mail with payment to Southern Downs Regional Council, PO Box 26, WARWICK Q 4370 
Direct Debit You can arrange direct debit with specified amounts taken from your nominated account at your nominated frequency. Please download and submit a Direct Debit Request Form (PDF 1.2MB).
Council's Offices Cash, cheque, money order or credit card at any Council office.

EFTPOS facilities are available for the payment of rates at the Council Administration Offices, with Visa & MasterCard credit cards being accepted.  At this stage, American Express is not accepted.


Council accepts all Centrepay deductions from Centrelink.  Centrepay is a free direct bill-paying service offered to customers receiving payments from Centrelink.  Through Centrepay you can choose to pay bills by having a regular amount deducted from your Centrelink payment.  A Centrepay deduction can be set up a number of ways:

  • online using your Centrelink online account through myGov;
  • using the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app on your mobile device;
  • at a service centre with help from Centrelink staff; or
  • by calling Centrelink on your regular payment number.

From 30 September 2018 Centrelink will not process a SA325 Centrepay deduciton form.

Council's Centrepay Reference Number (CRN) is:  555 097 915K.

The Account Number is the Property ID of your property.  You should locate this number on the rate notice.

Payments in advance

Council will accept rate payments in advance towards a future rate notice.  Ratepayers can make regular or ad hoc payments towards their property rate account prior to the notice being issued which reduces the total amount of the notice to be paid.  This may mean a smaller payment is required to receive a discount or maybe no additional payment at all.

If the payments in advance are not enough to cover the notice in full or at least the first instalment on an annual rates notice by the due date, an additional payment may be required or the ratepayer may need to apply for a payment agreement.

Payments in advance can be made using any of the payment methods outlined above.

Having trouble paying your rates? 

If a ratepayer is unable to pay their rate or utility notice in full or at least the first instalment of the annual rate notice, they should contact Council immediately to discuss available options.

If a ratepayer needs extra time to pay their rate or utility notice, they can organise a payment agreement.

An approved payment agreement can allow the notice amount to be spread throughout the year and avoid recovery action and associated costs.  However, discount on rates will not be allowed for those who take up this option.

Click here to read more about payment agreements

If a ratepayer is suffering financial hardship,they may be eligible for rate relief.

Financial hardship exists when ratepayers are unable to meed basic requirements.

Click here to read more about Financial hardship.

Make an online payment >>


Related Items

Section Menu