Living Here

Water Meter Readings and Water Consumption

Council conducts water meter readings biannually in September and March of each financial year.  Reading of the water meters across the region generally takes up to 4 weeks to complete.  The Utility Notices (formerly known as Water Notices) are issued in October and April after the readings for the region have been undertaken.  A Utility Notice will be issued if the property has any Water access charges, Wastewater access charges and/or has recorded water consumption for the period.

 Utility Notice sample

The Utility Notice is due to be paid 30 days after the Date of Issue.  Payments can be made by Bpay, internet, Australia Post, phone, mail, direct debit or at Council Offices.  See How to pay Your Rates for more information regarding payment methods.  Interest will be charged on all rates and charges which are overdue 35 days after Date of Issue at the rate of 11% per annum.  Interest is compound interest, calculated on daily rests.

It is important to note that the property owner is responsible for the water infrastructure on the property’s side of the water meter.  This includes the repairs of any leaks in pipes or fixtures.  Please note the Standard Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2003 states that all repair work classified as Notifiable Work must be undertaken by a licensed plumber.  Please contact Council for information on repair work that is classified in this category.

It is also the property owners’ responsibility to keep the water meter boxes free from debris, grass, garden mulch, soil and other obstacles.

If your water consumption appears higher than usual, Council suggests that you undertake a Water Meter Test as you may have a leak on the property.  Council has a Relief from Water Consumption Charges Policy (PL-FS035) (PDF 111.7KB) which eligible property owners can apply for.  See  Water Consumption Charges Relief for more information.

Council has adopted water restrictions that apply to all towns in the Southern Downs Region with a reticulated water supply. There are four levels of restrictions - permanent water conservation measures, along with medium, high and extreme restriction levels.  See Water Restrictions for more information on current restriction levels in your area.

Related Items

Section Menu