Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Living Here

Wandering & Stray Animals

Stray catA lot of complaints are received from persons about wandering animals impacting on their lifestyle.

Dogs are required to be kept in a sufficient fence or enclosure and restrained on a lead at all times when taken for a walk outside their property. A dog found wandering at large may be rescued and impounded, and only released after full payment of release fees.

As well as animals found wandering on public places, property owners can impound dogs found wandering on their own properties.

Stray animals must be restrained by the finder of the animal and then contact Council to arrange the return of the animal to its owner OR collection for impoundment.

Cats must also be controlled so as not to cause a nuisance on other people's property. Traps are available for hire subject to strict guidelines upon request to Council. See Cat Traps.

If your cat or dog has strayed, please contact Council as soon as possible to see if it has been impounded. If not at the pound, Council will keep their details on file in case your pet is found.

PLEASE NOTE:  Straying cats and dogs will not be collected by Council after hours.  There are self impoundment boxes located at both the Stanthorpe and Warwick Pound Facilities where straying animals can be placed.  These boxes are open 24/7.
 Locations for both facilities can be found by clicking the link below:


Cattle grazing in FreestoneAll calls to report stock on roads should be directed to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR). 

TMR's 24 hour phone number to report stock on roads is 13 19 40.

If required, TMR will contact Council as follows:

  • For stock on Council controlled roads, TMR will notify Council to attend
  • For stock on main roads, TMR will assess the situation and will contact Council's Animal Control Officers if assistance is required. 
  • However it is important that TMR be contacted in the first instance.


Related Items

Section Menu