Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Doing Business

Environmental Pollution

pollution-smokeDust from building works, noise from various sources, offensive odours and other types of pollution can not only be a nuisance to neighbours and interfere with daily activities, it can also affect people’s health. 

Your neighbour may not be aware they are causing a nuisance.  The best way to resolve such issue with a neighbour, is to approach them with your concerns and try and work together to resolve the problem.  If this doesn’t work after a period of time, you can raise the issue with Council or the appropriate authority.

Unless an incident is causing serious environmental harm, Council’s first response is generally to educate the complainant and the person being complained about by sending an information letter to both parties.  If the problem continues after the education process, the complaint will be further investigated.

Fact Sheets (coming soon)

  • Air Pollution
  • Water Pollution
  • Noise Pollution 

To make a complaint on any of the above issues, please contact Council .  Alternatively, for an environmental pollution complaint, you can complete a Nuisance Allegation Form and submit it to Council.

Please note Council is not responsible for responding to environmental complaints from the following premises, and the relevant authority detailed below should be contacted to report your complaint.

Nuisance Type

Relevant Contact

Smoke from a vehicle

Contact your local office of Queensland Transport & Main Roads

Bushfire smoke

Contact your local office of Queensland Fire & Emergency Services

Cigarette smoke

Contact Queensland Health on 13health (13 43 25 84)

Spray drift from agricultural land

Contact Workplace Health and Safety Queensland (WHSQ) on 1300 369 915

Any nuisance from a property that holds an Environmental Authority with the Department of Environment & Heritage Protection (DEHP)

Common activities in our region with/requiring an Environmental Authority with DEHP include:

>  Cattle feed lotting (feedlots)
>  Timber milling (sawmills)
>  Aquaculture
>  Alcohol and beverage production
>  Extractive and screening activities; and
>  Metal foundry operation

For enquiries please contact DEHP Pollution Hotline on 1300 130 372

 Noise from parties, cars, house alarms and trail bikes on private land Call Queensland Police on 131 444
 Noise from licensed premises such as hotels or nightclub Contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation in the Department of Justice and Attorney-General in writing via their website:
 Noise from an aircraft Contact your local office of Air Services Australia
 Noise from a vehicle Contact your local office of Queensland Transport & Main Roads
 Traffic noise on major arterial roads Contact your local office of Queensland Transport & Main Roads


Related Items

Section Menu