Membership is free to residents of the Southern Downs Region who can provide two (2) forms of suitable identification containing their name and current address.
Suitable Forms of ID
To join the Southern Downs Regional Council Library Service, you will need to present two (2) forms of suitable identification from the Accepted forms of ID listed below; one (1) form of identification must show your current residential address (Please note: Post Office Box addresses are not accepted).
Children under 18 must be joined up by the parent on whose Medicare card they are listed, unless they are an Independent Minor, in which case adult membership requirements apply.
Accepted forms of ID showing the residential address are:
- Current Queensland driver’s licence or learner’s permit
- Current Healthcare card
- Current SDRC rates/water rates notice
- Current Queensland vehicle registration certificate
- Current electoral enrolment card
- Current year account for electricity, gas or telephone (this must be a printed account, not sighted on phone or email)
- Contract of purchase, current lease or rental document (NOT a rent receipt)
- Australian Taxation Office assessment (last or current year)
Secondary (non-address) forms of ID can be:
- Current Medicare card
- Current bankcard/credit card
- Current 18+ identity card
- Current Australian passport
Please note these are the only forms of identification that can be accepted to qualify for free library membership.
If you are unable to provide two forms of ID as required, you may choose to join as a subscription member. Please see the library Fees & Charges for current cost.
A membership card will be issued to you on joining. Please be sure to bring it with you when you visit the Library.
As a library member, it is your responsibility to ensure that all items checked out on your card are returned or renewed by the due date. You are also responsible for all items checked out on cards that you have signed on behalf of a minor. If you have overdue items, you will be unable to borrow further items until your overdue items are returned, renewed, or paid for, if lost or damaged.
Your library card is a valuable item. Please keep it in a safe place and notify staff immediately if your card is lost or stolen. Until your card is reported missing, you will be responsible for items issued in your name. Please also notify library staff of change of address.
- All members are required to present their current Library card when borrowing.
- Fifteen (15) items per card may be borrowed.
- All items have a loan period of four (4) weeks except magazines, DVDs and videos which are a two (2) week loan.
- Reminder notices are sent out when items are overdue.
- New items cannot be borrowed until overdue items are either returned or renewed.
- Items on reserve for other borrowers cannot be renewed.
For more information on library membership please see the Library Procedure - Membership (PDF 247.5KB)