Local Events Funding Program
The Local Events Funding Program (LEFP) is a temporary funding program jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments as a component of the 2019 Queensland Bushfires Community Recovery Package under Category C of the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.
The LEFP will secure and develop a strong calendar of destination events that align and respond to the strategic priority “Facilitate and develop quality products, events and experiences” in Council’s “Tourism Strategy 2017-2020” which underpins “Southern Downs Regional Council Economic Development Strategy 2017-2020”.
Destination and signature events are important contributors to local and regional economies. A successful well run event can provide significant value to an area by adding jobs and money to the local economy and providing additional cultural and social benefits. Recognising the importance of this industry, the LEFP was created to assist and support event organisers by providing a funding source to help develop and deliver successful and sustainable events that make a positive contribution to the Southern Downs regional economic outcomes.
The objectives of the LEFP are to:
- Attract external visitation to the destination of Southern Downs and Granite Belt
- Enhance the profile and appeal of the region as a destination
- Develop high quality, innovative products, events and experiences and strengthen the Southern Downs & Granite Belt destination events calendar
- Generate visitor and local economic activity in the Southern Downs & Granite Belt region
Note: Where and if possible grant funds must be spent on suppliers located within the Southern Downs Region.
This webpage contains information designed to assist Cultural, creative and sporting organisations. For profit organisations and businesses; and Not-for-profit organisations in obtaining grant funding through Council for their projects or activities. As you scroll down this webpage you will locate the following information - in this order.
- Funding rounds - opening and closing dates
- Links to grant application forms
- Book & Borrow a Council Banner form
- Council sponsorship information
- More Resources
Everything an applicant needs to know about Council's Local Events Funding Program can be found in the following Guidelines.
Council encourages all applicants to read the Guidelines prior to completing an application form online.
Council would like to inform prospective grant applicants that “they should not rely on Council as a continual or sole source of income and should actively pursue other avenues of funding to aid in their development of projects.”
Local Events Funding Program Guidelines (PDF 587.8KB)
The LEFP will hold two rounds. Round One is completed with Round Two opening on 1 March 2021.
||1 March 2021*
||25 April 2021*
||1 July 2021 - 30 June 2022*
|Notification to applicants
||28 May 2021*
*subject to change should there be any further COVID safe event restrictions.
Grant Application Forms
Applications for Local Events Funding Program are made on-line via SmartyGrants and will be available for completion in accordance with the dates each Round opens and closes as noted above.
The red underlined grant names below are links to the application form. Click on the name of the grant you are applying for which will re-direct you to SmartyGrants, where you will complete the application form on-line.
A SmartyGrants Help Guide for Applicants is accessible online at: SmartyGrants - Help Guide for Applicants and the SmartyGrants Frequently Asked Questions may also be of assistance SmartyGrants - Applicant FAQ's. Applicants may telephone SmartyGrants - Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm AEST on (03) 9320 6888 or via email to email@example.com.
Applicants may also contact Council - Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm on 1300 697 372 (1300 MY SDRC) or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SmartyGrants Application Form
Grant Acquittal Form
Funding acquittals are to be completed online via SmartyGrants. The link to the acquittal form will be emailed to each successful applicant and is also available below. Applicants will need to login to their SmartyGrants account to view their acquittal form.
SmartyGrants Acquittal Form
- Successful Grants to Local Events Funding Program recipients are welcome to Book & Borrow a Council Banner to use for their projects. This provides another avenue for the purposes of acknowledging Council's contribution to your project to be included in your Local Events Funding Program Acquittal Form
Click on the red underlined link below, complete the form and submit it to Council. Please allow a minimum of five (5) working days before collection.
Book & Borrow a Council Banner (PDF 103KB)
- If an organisation is required to be auspiced, it is the responsibility of the applicant being auspiced to ensure that a clear agreement is reached between the parties before applying for funding. This form is to be completed and attached to the grant application in SmartyGrants.
Auspicing Agreement (PDF 38.7KB)
Council no longer provides Sponsorship. Any financial assistance from Council needs to be requested through a Grants to Community grant application - when a round is open.