Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Doing Business


house-under-constructionBuilding work will generally require a development application for Building Approval if you are:

  • building a free-standing permanent structure e.g. house or shed
  • extending or raising or re-stumping an existing structure
  • building a retaining wall over one metre high or a fence over two metres high
  • erecting signs, flag pole, mast or tower, aerial or antenna
  • swimming pools and swimming pool fencing
  • demolishing an existing building or structure (in part or in full)
  • altering the structure for a different use (e.g. a shed to house, converting a dwelling to short-term accommodation, an office to a retail shop)
  • carrying out significant structural changes to an existing building

Unless the property is heritage listed, you do not need a development application if you are:

  • painting or redecorating the interior or exterior of a structure
  • remodelling a kitchen or bathroom

If you are intending to undertake building work, you must have a Building Approval.  Also, some projects will require you to have a Planning Approval prior to submitting an application for Building Approval.

Development application forms are available at the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning website.  

Related Items

Section Menu