Pozieres Bin Compound reopens for business
After its closure last Friday, Council has acted swiftly to remedy the Pozieres Bin Compound to return the facility back to normal operations after illegal asbestos dumping was confirmed on site late last week.
The site was reopened at 8am this morning.
Acting Manager Environmental Services Leo Jensen said users were urged to respect the service that council provided and dispose of domestic rubbish and recyclables only at this compound.
“Please use the bins provided and dispose of only the type of rubbish that is permitted at these compounds,” he said.
“Bulky items such as furniture, old mattresses, fridges, lounges, rolls of barbed wire, metal sheeting, and the like are to be taken to the Stanthorpe Waste Facility where they have the capacity and equipment to receive and manage such items.
“These items pose a health and safety risk to other users when they visit these compounds.”
Mr Jensen said it was unfortunate a small number of users who normally used Pozieres, had visited supervised sites over the past several days and abused council contractors and staff.
“Such verbal abuse is quite unnecessary,” Mr Jensen said.
“As a result of illegal dumping and not following some simple conditions of use, the Pozieres Bin Compound was closed which inconvenienced all users.
“Council’s waste team has strived to remedy this site as soon as possible so as to ensure disruption was kept to a minimum.
“We urge all users to keep the site clean and safe please, for everyone’s benefit.”
To keep up-to-date with all Council news head to www.sdrc.qld.gov.au or follow Southern Downs Regional Council on Facebook.
Bin compound - before and after
View the current operating status of Council's Waste Facilities