Pensioners are entitled to receive a subsidy for their rates from the Queensland Government.
How much is the Rebate Subsidy?
The Queensland Government offers a 20% subsidy, capped at $200.00 per annum
for rates and charges excluding fire levies and miscellaneous property
The Queensland Fire and Rescue Service offers a 20% subsidy on state fire
levies in the “A” and “D” categories.
All rebates are charged on a pro-rata basis should you only be eligible for a
portion of the year.
To be eligible a person must:
- Be the holder of a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card issued by Centrelink
or Department of Veterans Affairs;
- Be the owner or life tenant, either solely or jointly, of the property. The
Pensioner's name must appear on the title deed or have a life tenancy created by
- Have legal responsibility for the payment of rates and charges levied by
- The property must be the Pensioner's principal place of residence
- An exception for not living at the principle
place of residence is:
- It is due to ill heath AND
- The property in not being rented out
- The owners are still fully responsible for the payment of rates
Download and complete the Pension Rebate Application Form (PDF 223.9KB) and lodge it in person at any of Council's offices. You will need to show your Pension Card as a photocopy of it will be saved in Council's records.